Thursday, June 23, 2005

Reds: Suck

Here's what new manager Jerry Narron was saying just two days ago:

"I just want to see these guys every night play with intensity," Narron said at Tuesday's news conference at Great American Ball Park. "Play all out every second... We have to play smart baseball. We have to have baseball players. And if guys don't play smart, we have to teach them to play smart."

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said Narron's style will be different from former manager Dave Miley's approach. Narron said despite the team's last-place status in the National League Central Division, he wanted the opportunity to prove the Reds are better than their record.

Note carefully the use of the word "almost" in this next paragraph:

"I have very high regard for almost every one of these guys," Narron said. "I know they're disappointed in the season, but I think they all believe they can turn this thing around and play much better baseball... I can you tell you I'm consistent; I'll be the same guy on and off the record... I'm very, very intense. Like I said, I have passion for (the game) and a love for it. I want to see the same thing carry over to these players."

What does that make them, Jerry? LOLLYGAGGERS???

Now here's what he said after Wednesday's game:

"I like David Weathers and Kent Mercker," he said. "They're going to give you all they've got every time out, and they're not going to beat themselves. We've got to get the younger guys to do that as well... We've got a good group of guys here... They want to win. These guys are battlers."

I'll tell you what we got here. We got Ray Knight Jr. is what we got here. Gag me with a pitchfork.

No comments: